Calls to address global climate change—and the concomitant effects of extreme weather, conflict over scarce resources, and mass extinctions—continue to come from many directions. Confronting this “grand challenge” requires innovation, diplomacy, and cooperation at all levels of humanity, including in the spheres of science, geopolitics, and, commerce. One of these specific challenges relates to how built environments can be designed and managed more efficiently to improve urban environmental quality. In recent years, one way in which many have suggested that the sports industry might have a significant role in this endeavor is by participating in pro-environmental initiatives. Despite the momentum for sustainable programming, the adoption of green design principles lags behind.
CSUP studies examine how urban sports stadiums and organizational initiatives are used to catalyze environmentally sustainable development in the cities and regions in which they are located. In addition to evaluating how decisions are made to incorporate sustainable designs in sports stadiums, researchers will seek to examine the extent to which teams and stadiums impact urban environmental quality, stimulate pro-environmental behavior by other businesses and government, and induce behavioral change among local residents.
- Formation and Function of a Collegiate Athletics Sustainability Committee Journal of Amateur Sport, 2018 / Kellison with Brian McCullough and Elodie Wendling)
- Routledge Handbook of Sport and the Environment (2017 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- An Introduction to Environmental Sustainability and Sport (in Routledge Handbook of Sport and the Environment, 2017 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- A Pragmatic Perspective on the Future of Sustainability in Sport (in Routledge Handbook of Sport and the Environment, 2017 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- Environmental Legacy of Mega Sport Events (in Legacies of Mega-events: Fact or Fairy Tales?, 2017 / Kellison with Jonathan Casper)
- Go Green for the Home Team: Sense of Place and Environmental Sustainability in Sport (Journal of Sustainability Education, 2016 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- A Forecast for the Mainstreaming of Environmental Sustainability (Sport and Entertainment Review, 2016 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- Service Learning and Sustainability: Volunteer Attitudes Before and After the College Football Playoff National Championship (Green Sports Alliance Summit, 2018 / Kellison and Cianfrone)
- The Environmental Costs of Civic Paternalism during Stadium-building (North American Society for Sport Management annual meeting, 2018 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- Environmentalist and Non-Environmentalist Attitudes Toward an NFL Team’s Sustainability Initiatives (Sport Marketing Association annual meeting, 2017 / Kellison and Cianfrone)
- A Profile of the Green Sports Fan (Sport Marketing Association annual meeting, 2017 / Kellison and Cianfrone)
- Organizing, Function, and Effectiveness of Cross Sector Social Partnerships in Green Athletic Committees (North American Society for Sport Management annual meeting, 2016 / Kellison with Brian McCullough)
- Boundary Spanning and Expansion in a Collegiate Athletics Sustainability Committee (North American Society for Sport Management annual meeting, 2016 / Kellison with Elodie Wendling)